“I get by with a little help of my friends.”
– The Beatles
Volunteers work directly with our therapists, instructors and staff by providing assistance before, during and after an appointment or lesson. After training to become a leader or sidewalker, each volunteer has a specific responsibility. Our leaders groom, tack and lead our horses at a walk and trot during the appointment or lesson. Our sidewalkers help support our participants during their ride, and may also assist with games and activities, while the participant is mounted.
Volunteering at SaddleUp! is a great experience. I am so glad I made the decision to be part of the team. Everyday I get to see lives enriched through the therapeutic activities and programs at SaddleUp! The professionals at SaddleUp! are passionate and caring and have helped me learn so much about horses and the programs. It is a joy to be around the beautiful horses each with their own unique personalities. I believe volunteering should be meaningful, challenging and fun. SaddleUp! is all of those. – Glenda
I started volunteering for the horses and I keep coming back for the kids. -Diane
How to get started:
1. Must be 14 years of age or older. Horse experience is not required.
2. Please complete a background check if over 18 ($19) prior to orientation.
3. The background check process can be started here:
4. Please complete an enrollment/application: https://secure.rotundasoftware.com/l/enrollment/tobysaddleup
5. Must be able to walk for 50 minutes, and jog for short intervals, during appointments or lessons.
6. It is recommended that you commit to a regular schedule. However, we can be flexible if your scheduling needs are irregular.
7. Please schedule an orientation prior to volunteering. To schedule orientation, please call the SaddleUp! Foundation and ask to speak to the Volunteer Coordinator, or complete the web-form on this page.