“I get by with a little help of my friends.”
– The Beatles
Volunteers work directly with our therapists, instructors and staff by providing assistance before, during and after an appointment or lesson. After training to become a leader or sidewalker, each volunteer has a specific responsibility. Our leaders groom, tack and lead our horses at a walk and trot during the appointment or lesson. Our sidewalkers help support our participants during their ride, and may also assist with games and activities, while the participant is mounted.
1. Must be 14 years of age or older. Horse experience is not required.
2. Must complete a background check ($19) if over 18, prior to orientation.
3. The background check process can be started here:
4. Must complete an application and attend an orientation, prior to volunteering. To schedule orientation, please call the SaddleUp! Foundation and ask to speak to the Volunteer Coordinator, or complete the web-form on this page.
5. Must be able to walk for 50 minutes, and jog for short intervals, during appointments or lessons.
6. Must commit to a regular schedule.
- Don’t be late! Please plan to arrive 15 minutes prior to the start of the lesson/appointment.
- If you are not able to make it to your scheduled volunteer time, please give at least 48 hours notice, so that a substitute volunteer may be found.
- Be willing to help staff with barn chores.
- Be able to perform volunteer tasks with minimal supervision.
- Be willing to learn the “SaddleUp!” way.
- Respect staff, therapists, instructors, families, participants and other volunteers.
Lesson and appointment dates and times:
Please note that SaddleUp! Foundation relies on volunteers, in addition to staff, therapists and instructors, to be able to provide our services. Your absence may cause us to have to cancel therapies or lessons- please only commit to a day(s) and time(s) that will be consistently feasible for your schedule.
Volunteering at SaddleUp! is a great experience. I am so glad I made the decision to be part of the team. Everyday I get to see lives enriched through the therapeutic activities and programs at SaddleUp! The professionals at SaddleUp! are passionate and caring and have helped me learn so much about horses and the programs. It is a joy to be around the beautiful horses each with their own unique personalities. I believe volunteering should be meaningful, challenging and fun. SaddleUp! is all of those. – Glenda